Position: Development Manager, NYC
Reports To: Executive Director
Only Make Believe (OMB) is a non-profit organization that creates and performs interactive theatre for children in hospitals and care facilities in New York City and Washington D.C. OMB is dedicated to the principle that freeing a child’s imagination is a valuable part of the healing process. Since 1999, OMB has performed with over 52,000 children and serves over 5,000 children each year.
We seek an experienced and passionate Development Manager to spearhead corporate funding, an extensive calendar of volunteer programs, multiple events including an annual gala, as well as external affairs and institutional promotion. We specifically seek a self-starter who is passionate about this opportunity and advancing OMB’s mission. The ideal candidate will have excellent writing and communication skills, comfort in typical office computer systems especially including CRM databases, be team-player, problem-solver, and independent worker who approaches challenges with a smile.
This is a full-time, salaried position, with benefits that requires occasional early mornings, late nights, long days and weekends; the ability to step into any of the organization’s roles, as needed, to support and ensure the job gets done; minor packing, pulling, and lifting in preparation for shows and events; mostly local travel to performance sites from Manhattan to other boroughs/tri-state area, meetings and event venues, some trips to D.C.; and flexibility to respond positively and productively to new and atypical situations, even under pressure, stress, and deadlines.
- Identify, develop and cultivate new and strengthen existing corporate relationships through volunteer events and program sponsorships
- Collaborate with existing corporate partners to schedule, organize, and execute all corporate volunteer events (Costume Collectives and Cast Parties), including all event preparation, facilitation, and follow up
- Responsible for program budget and invoicing for all corporate engagement activities
- Track and report all corporate engagement opportunities to Executive Director and Board of Directors, as needed
- Current program schedules around 80 corporate volunteer events each year and this program brings in 10-15% of the annual budget for the organization
- Plan fundraising events for the organization, and seek to increase event income each year for events. Some annual events include:
- Make Believe on Broadway Annual Gala
- Ping Pong Party at SPiN New York
- Broadway Shows with Post-Show Q&As with the Cast and Creatives
- Take ownership and spearhead OMB events from start to finish. Which can include:
- develop initial event concept,
- source venues and vendors,
- negotiate contracts,
- design all event marketing materials and invitations,
- oversee event budgets,
- solicit sponsorships
- manage ticket sales
- communicate and negotiate with vendors
- manage all logistical details including set up through to clean up and follow up post event
- Make Believe on Broadway Annual Gala
- Be part of the OMB Gala Team (team consists of Event Producer, Director, Production Manager, PR Rep, Executive Director, OMB Founder, and this role)
- Handle all and manage all event logistics, mostly includes:
- ticket sales
- sponsorship activation and recognition
- theater seating
- ticket distribution
- collaborating with graphic designer for marketing materials and programs
- volunteer and staff management
- Work closely with the Executive Director and Board of Directors to increase the organization’s fundraising capacity and develop new fundraising initiatives
- Assist the Executive Director and Board of Directors in communicating OMB’s mission to the public, donors, and other influencers
- Work with Executive Director to develop all aspects of direct mail and online appeals and e-newsletters, including drafting content for such appeals
- Record all contributions in donor database and ensure timely acknowledgement of donations
- Manage OMB’s digital presence (social media) and create email newsletters and event invitations (through MailChimp) to supporters
- Liaise with the Junior Board and help oversee their efforts to advance the mission of the organization
- Manage seasonal interns and volunteers
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Executive Director and Board of Directors
REQUIREMENTS AND IDEAL QUALITIES
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Excellent writer and public speaker
- At least 3-4 years in a development role at a nonprofit organization*
- Demonstrated skills in developing and implementing successful strategies for identification, cultivation and solicitation of corporations, individuals, and foundation
- Experience planning and executing large-scale fundraising events
- Track record for exemplary time management skills and ability to manage multiple deadlines in a fast-paced environment with minimal supervision
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Programs and donor database systems
- Superior organizational skills and attention to detail
- Passion for the theatre, art, and children’s causes
- Positive team player approach
- Availability for occasional or weekend evening work
- Superb interpersonal skills (i.e. be able to speak to any and every one) to interact effectively with donors, volunteers, corporate partners, C-Suite level executives, celebrities, high net worth individuals, and the media
*While we prefer candidates with experience working in a development position at a nonprofit organization, we will consider other professionals with transferable skills if all they are a good fit for the organization. If applying without the preferred nonprofit experience, please explain in your cover letter 1) why you are looking to transition and 2) how your experience would make you an ideal candidate for this position.
Please note: We may adjust the title of this position for candidates with more or less than the desired amount of experience.
Salary: $45,000-60,000, commensurate with experience
Please email resume PDF and cover letter with salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org by August 30. No phone calls please.
Only Make Believe (OMB) provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, OMB complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
OMB expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of OMB’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
MALE ACTOR AUDITIONS – NYC. ACCEPTING SUBMISSIONS THROUGH SEPT. 15, 2017.
OMB is currently seeking male actors ages 24+ with professional theatrical experience to join our NYC repertory company. Looking for performers with:
- Experience working with children (a must)
- Teaching artist background
- Comedic & improvisational skills
- Consistent availability in NYC on a weekly basis
- Musical ability (carry a tune, keep a beat)
- Experience performing in repertory (attractive but not required)
- Valid driver’s license (attractive but not required)
- Bi-lingual in English/Spanish (attractive but not required)
- Competitive pay for rehearsals, travel, and performances
- Consistent work throughout the year
- Union and non-union
- Flexible work schedule
- Performances in all 5 boroughs-must be willing to travel
Send headshot, resume, and brief description (in body of email) of why you are interested in joining Only Make Believe to: email@example.com.
Accepting submissions through September 15, 2017.
No phone calls please.